My NYSC diary and 21 days in camp Ch. 1 Ep. 10
Cover art

My NYSC diary and 21 days in camp Ch. 1 Ep. 10

By Ola Olowo   18th Oct 2018
3 mins read   6791 views
Table of contents

© Copyright notice: No part of this story should be produced in any other format or distributed elsewhere without the prior notice of management of Country Tales or the author.


With the help of Mr. Dan, we got our bags in time. To our greatest surprise, the station manager, Mr. Alfred, made an arrangement for us to be conveyed to town in a Toyota Hilux. Mr. Dan and Mr. Ola accompanied us to a place where we easily got a keke Napep, who moved us to the university of Jos gate, where we got a bus to Kangere, Bauchi state. Along the way, Mr. Dan showed us where the state television was situated – PRTV. He also showed us the home of the former governor of Plateau state. Moving ahead, he showed us the former government house which was along the Jonah Jang way. We also passed by the Air force base and the house of assembly in Plateau.


[6:00pm, 24th of November, 2015]

We got on the way to Bauchi in an eight-passenger bus in which half of the passengers were corpers. I sat in the middle, alongside two prospective corp members. Ugo and Bisola sat behind with a prospective corp member named Busayo. The lady sitting next to me, Funke, a student of Moshood Abiola Polytecnic, brought out a small pack of food that was given to first class passengers in the plane she boarded. Guess what was in it? White rice and banga soup which cannot fill the belly of a two year old baby.


The estimated time for the trip to Bauchi was supposed to be just an hour, but I was surprised we were still on the road as at 7:10pm, with 62km more to cover.

Two passengers alighted when we got to Gigamai. Bisola took the time to hand over the soldier’s bag to him; he had been calling so as to link up with us ever since we took off from Jos. We headed off to the camp with some new passengers. At 8:30pm, we got down at Kangere Camp Institute of Education. We had to go through a thorough security check before we were allowed to get inside. The place was very big.

Ugo and I located the male hostel and we made sure we got a room that had good sockets for us to charge our phones. After settling down, we visited the mamee market and we were surprised to see everything we needed in camp there.

We needed to fill our stomachs with something heavy after such a tiring journey. We bought some food for N250 per plate, which we later regretted. The food tasted really bad, but wetin man go do?  After the meal, we headed back to our hostel.

Continued on next page...

Join our newsletter and get notified when we pulish new stories.

Leave a comment below

You may also read:

Excursion thief
My NYSC diary and 21 days in camp


Let's discuss!

Comments (0)

 Acceptance of our terms and conditions

By posting any content on, you are agreeing to be bound by our terms and conditions. Kindly take note that you are entirely and solely responsible for any content you make available on this website, either by submitting a literature or by your actions in the comment sections and other part(s) of this website.

If we get notified or become aware that you have submitted any content that infringes the intellectual property rights or any proprietary rights of any third party, we may delete or amend it accordingly. We reserve the right at any time and for any reason to remove you and/or any content contributed by you.